- 4 cups water, divided
- 6-12 fresh okra pods
- 1 c. uncooked polenta (grits)
- 1/2 t. salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 8 oz. cubed cheddar cheese
1. Boil 2 cups water. Add okra. Simmer 10 minutes. Drain, but reserve water.
2. Roughly chop okra.
3. Using reserved okra water, add two more cups water and boil. Add grits and salt.
Cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 350.
5. Place whisked eggs in a medium bowl and gradually whisk 1/4 of the hot grits into the eggs. Then, whisk the eggs with grits into the larger pan of grits, whisking well and mixing thoroughly.
6. Whisk in butter. Stir in okra and cheese. Bake in a greased casserole dish for 50y-60 minutes
Difficulty: Easy, Prep Time: 10 min, Cook Time: 60 min, Serves: 4