- 2 T. butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 T. flour
- 1 t. dried parsley
- 1/2 t. dried thyme
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4-5 medium tomatoes, chopped with juice
- 5 cups broth (chicken, seafood, vegetable, beef, or a combination), heated to boiling
- 3/4 cup long grain white rice
- Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- 2-3 sausage links (Italian or andouille style, or a combination)
1. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat and cook onion, peppers, and celery for about three minutes. Add flour and herbs and stir well. Add bay leaves and garlic. Cook about five minutes.
2. Add tomatoes and simmer gently for about ten minutes.
3. Add hot broth to saucepan and bring to a boil. Add rice. Add salt and cayenne, if desired. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook about 30 minutes uncovered, or until rice is fully cooked. It will be juicy.
4. Meanwhile, cook sausage according to package directions. Slice and brown in saucepan. Add to cooked rice mixture just before serving. Remove bay leaves before serving.
) You can add cooked shrimp with the sausage at the end.
2) You can also add dried red pepper flakes for some heat.
Difficulty: Easy, Prep Time: 10 min, Cook Time: 45 min, Serves: 6