Another name for this could be not-gross-potato-salad, because we all agree that potato salad is gross, right? If you don’t agree, I don’t know if we can be friends and this book may not be for you. But, though it is similar to the traditional sold-in-a-tub neon yellow salad, this salad is light and fluffy and not gross. Trust me
- 5 medium potatoes
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 small cucumber
- 1 cup fresh or canned corn
- 4 T. mayonnaise
- 1 T. milk
- 1 t. mustard paste
- 1/2 t. dry mustard powder
- salt and pepper
- dried parsley
1. Peel the potatoes and cut into sixths. Soak in cold water to remove starch. Peel and chop the carrot roughly in 1/4″ pieces. Thinly slice the onion and place in a cup of water to remove the bitterness. Fill a pot with water and add the potatoes. Bring to a boil and add the carrots. Turn the heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are soft
enough to be pierced with a fork, but still hold their shape. Meanwhile, slice the cucumber very thin and sprinkle with a little salt. Set aside.
2. Drain the water from the potatoes and return them to pot. Let the water evaporate until the edges of the potatoes are dry but still hot.
3. Mix the mayonnaise, milk, mustards, a little salt, pepper, and dried parsley together in a salad bowl. Add the potatoes to the bowl and mash into the mayonnaise mixture with a large fork. Drain the onion and pat dry. Squeeze excess water out of cucumber slices.Add cucumber, onion, and corn to the salad. Place in the fridge to cool.
Difficulty: Medium, Prep Time: 10 min, Cook Time: 10 min, Serves: 4