Peruvian Pesto recipe
how to make Peruvian Pesto (Tallerines Verdes) recipe
- 1 lb. spaghetti, or favorite pasta
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 cups spinach leaves, or one box frozen spinach
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup queso fresco (savory soft and white crumbly cheese)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts or pecans
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
Sauté onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil until soft. Meanwhile, boil pasta according to package directions.
2. If using fresh spinach and basil, blanch or steam the leaves quickly with boiling water. Strain.
3. In a blender, add all ingredients, except for pasta, and process until smooth.
4. Serve sauce over hot pasta.
1) You can use prepared pesto instead of the basil leaves, olive oil, and nuts
2) I only make this dish in the summer when my basil plants are full, because it's hard to find so many basil leaves out of season.
3) In Peru this dish is commonly served with a savory slab of steak, but chicken or pork would also be delicious.
Difficulty: Easy, Prep Time: 10 min, Cook Time: 10 min, Serves: 6