Spaghetti Squash Carbonara recipe
- 2 small or medium spaghetti squash
- 8 T. olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- kosher salt
- 1/2 pound bacon, roughly chopped
- 4 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 egg yolks plus 1 whole egg
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 T. chopped parsley
Preheat over to 400 degrees. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Brush inside with olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet cut side down and bake about one hour or until the back is easily pierced with a knife and the insides are juicy.
2. In a medium sauté pan, cook the bacon over medium heat until almost crispy. Add garlic, green onions, and chicken seasoning diluted in 2-3 tablespoons of water. Mix well and keep warm, but not hot, while allowing the liquid to evaporate.
3. In a medium bowl, mix the eggs, cheeses, and parsley together.
4. Remove the squash from the oven and, while it is still hot, scrape the insides out into a colander resting a top a large bowl. Throw out the juice and put the hot squash into the large bowl. Add the bacon and garlic from the pan to the bowl of eggs and mix. 5.
Immediately pour the egg mixture into the bowl of hot squash and stir. The heat will cook the eggs. Adjust seasonings and serve immediately.
Difficulty: Intermediate, Prep Time: 10 min, Cook Time: 80 min, Serves: 4