Veggie Burger Recipe
How to make Veggie Burger
- 1/2 cup white quinoa
- 1/2 cup pink lentils
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- Olive oil
- 5 drops liquid smoke
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 1/2 t. salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can black beans, drained (about 15 oz.)
- 1 T. dried parsley
- 1-2 pinches of dried rosemary
1.Rinse quinoa. Soak in water for ten minutes. Rinse again and drain.
2. In a medium saucepan, bring 1 cup of water to boil. Add lentils and quinoa and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Drain any excess water. Set aside.
3. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and add onion, celery, salt, pepper, and liquid smoke. Cook until onions are soft. Add black beans and garlic. Mash with a fork until most of the beans are crushed. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, combine the quinoa mixture with the black bean mixture. Add remaining seasonings. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Let sit until any excess water evaporates. Form into patties on waxed paper, Chill one hour. Saute in olive oil to brown before serving.
1) This mix is delicious, and tastes better than beef in my opinion, but the patties
crumble easily, so I sometimes treat this like ground beef and brown it in a pan and serve it on a taco salad or my kids will eat it as a side with a little ketchup. If you want patties, try dusting them with flour before frying to get a nice, browned effect. Melt a slice of cheese on top and it's better than a cheeseburger.
Difficulty: Easy, Prep Time: 10 min, Cook Time: 20 min, Serves: 4